Monday, April 1, 2013

Let's Talk About Me!



Its April 1st already and time to once again join in with the WEGO Health blog challenge!  I enjoy doing this. Its a great time to connect with new blogs that you may not otherwise come across.  The WEGO people also provide interesting prompts that require me to look at life from a slightly different perspective. Its great!

Day one asks us to either write about why we got involved with the Health Activists Writer’s Month Challenge or talk about how we started on this path, so I decided to talk about me!  Actually, its because I can’t remember how long I have been doing the challenge or what made me start...except probably the fact that it was an interesting challenge.

But back to me!! Why do I write about my life with a child with diabetes online?  For the therapy.  Quite simply, that is in part why it began.  Writing, journaling, and such has always been my way of getting out thoughts, feelings and emotions.  If I wrote it out, I could work through it. 
I began to write about my challenges.  I wrote about our successes.  I chronicled my fight with the federal government to get the Disability Tax Credit.  I wrote about trying to choose an insulin pump for the first time.  Eventually I also began to talk about our day to day life.  The challenges of a preteen, and now the challenges faced in living with a teen.  We deal with hormones and independence. 

I write to share my fears.  I write to share our joys.  I write to educate and to create awareness.  My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in March of 2000.  I was an educated young mother of two boys.  I knew about teething.  I had been through the flu, colds and potty training but I knew nothing of diabetes until it barged into our lives and almost killed my son.  In writing about Type 1 diabetes today, I hope to educate other parents, grandparents and the general public on what Type 1 diabetes is and the reality of how it impacts families and their lives.   

Over the years, writing has also allowed me to connect with other parents and those living with diabetes.  It gives those who have not yet reached some of the stages we have to see how we have handled things and what they can expect.  It also helps those who are also living with a teen with type 1 know that they are not alone in their struggles and the strange victories that only those who live here can truly appreciate. 
There you have it...why I write about type 1 diabetes. I am looking forward to the many thought provoking challenges presented over the next 30 days.  I am equally looking forward to learning new things about other health writers.  Let the fun begin!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment