Saturday, January 21, 2012

Update after...Hating Five

I was driving in the car with my youngest son. He yawned and I asked if he was tired. 

"Why?"

"Well, I thought you might be tired since I was up all night wondering when you were going to go low.  You hovered between 4 and 5 all night. I wasn't sure what to do and didn't want to send you high so I ended up awake for most of the night. You finally did go low, I gave you a juice and things eventually worked out."

"Next time give me a sandwich."

"What???"

"Next time I'm low.  Don't worry about the juice, I would rather have a sandwich."

Oh my! Teen boys and food! Its not like I haven't fed him a sandwich while he slept before but that was back in the days of injections and NPH. Nowadays its juice, gel or tablets and some sleep. 

After this nightmare night, as I mentioned, I had to decide if I should decrease the basal rate or give it one more shot.  We had a huge dumping of snow that day and my son had been out shoveling for a few hours. When the evening came, I had to decide what to do. I went with the wait and see approach. In hindsight, it wasn't my most brilliant decision but this time he was over 7 (130ish) before going to bed so I thought I had a lot more wiggle room.

Wrong! Two o'clock in the morning saw him dropping again. There was no sandwich.  I found some regular pop and decreased his basal rate.  I also changed the previous rate back down to where it was to begin with. I was not taking any more chances!

No comments:

Post a Comment