Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Strength in numbers

Its that time of the year again...pre-budget time in Newfoundland and Labrador.  This means that its our opportunity to try and convince the current provincial government that money spent on insulin pump therapy now will save them money in both the short and long term.

Newfoundland and Labrador is one of the better places to live in if you have diabetes. They cover insulin pumps for those people with Type 1 diabetes who are under the age of 25. This is better than those people living in Alberta who have no provincial coverage but is not as good as those living in Ontario. 

Each year, I have worked to see this change. First to see pumps covered at all, then accepting the increase to 25 and now...well I am done with crumbs and I want the entire cookie for people with diabetes in this province!

I have spent the past few weeks researching and reading.  I took that information and spelled out exactly why we need the insulin pump program expanded to include all people with diabetes and continuous glucose monitors. 

Sadly the government only cares so much about the quality of life issues.  They only care so much about how much easier it will make your life.  Their main concern is how much it will cost them. They want bottom line so this year I gave it to them.

With the help of some great studies, I was able to show the cost of less than optimal control on the health care system. I was able to show them the dollar value of a person working versus someone who has had to leave the workforce because of diabetes related complications. I showed how money was saved and funds could be re-routed by adopting a more expansive program.

I am only one person though. I have shared the document with a group of people who want to see change. I have shared it with other people that I felt would be interested in seeing this happen. I have asked these people to share with their families and friends.  Every person who shares this plea with the provincial government brings us that much closer to seeing real change. Never doubt the value of public pressure...even when the government is crying broke.

If you live in Newfoundland and Labrador, or know someone who does, please send your own letter or email me for a copy of the letter that I have sent. There truly is strength in numbers.  Together we can make a difference! but hurry! The submission deadline is February 13th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment